How many types of Laksa are there?

• How many types of Laksa are there?

Posted by Christina Wong on July 7, 2021 at 5:31 pm

Asam laksa is one of my favourite food and I found out that different state has different types of laksa. Anyone has any idea/thoughts on what are the types of laksa we have in Malaysia? I only know at least 2 types onlyNerd

cher replied 2 years, 9 months ago 8 Members · 7 Replies
  • 7 Replies
  • Mateo Gabriel

July 8, 2021 at 1:59 pm

There are many types of Laksa out there, definitely. From my own research ( a laksa enthusiast), there are nine types of Laksa in Malaysia: Curry Laksa, Assam Laksa, Nyonya Laksa, Sarawak Laksa, Laksa Kedah, Laksa Kuala Perlis, Laksa Kuah Putih, Johor Laksa and Singapore style Laksa. There are many different variations in flavoring and ingredients. This is from my own understanding and research. I’ve tried some of the laksa and I would say that each of the laksa is very different from one another. Although they fall under the category of laksa,, each laksa prepared and uses different ingredients, according to each state.

• Margaret Mia

July 8, 2021 at 3:15 pm

Hello! Came across this forum and was wondering what is laksa? 🤔🤔

• Nasrul Haziq

July 8, 2021 at 5:04 pm

Laksa is basically a Malaysian dish consisting of rice noodles served in a curry sauce or hot soup. There are many different variations of laksa that have developed in Malaysia and Singapore. Ingredients for laksa may include chicken stock, coconut milk, lemongrass, galangal root or fresh turmeric root, chillies and shrimp paste. Variations may also include coconut cream and other types of seafood such as crab meat or prawns (shrimps) and fish balls made from ground white fish mixed with chives or onions.

Different regions in Malaysia have different types of laksa. For example, the Puri (famous for seafood) laksa from Penang uses fresh turmeric or galangal instead of lime leaves, the Sarawakian laksa uses a greater emphasis on belacan (shrimp paste), the Kedah and Perak laksas are using tamarind as a souring agent. The Kelantanese laksas use durian as well as tamarind while the Johorean laksa has coconut milk base.

• Sarah Ismail

July 9, 2021 at 12:26 pm

My all-time favourite is curry laksa! Curry Laksa uses curry broth and coconut milk as the broth/soup. These ingredients can be prepared at home in many different ways. The closest traditional Malaysian versions that I like is curry laksa from Ah Cheng Laksa! Curry laksa can be eaten on its own or as part of another dish such as nasi lemak (or simply nasi).

The origins of curry laksa are obscure; however, the dish has been created and enjoyed by the Malaysian and Singaporean communities for many years. Invented by migrant workers who were required to take their meals out from their homes, curry laksa is now a popular street food and is found in many small restaurants throughout Malaysia, Singapore and Brunei. The dish gained popularity among home cooks during the 1970s.

Curry laksa is usually served with: meat or seafood – either barbecued or stir-fried. I would suggest you to try Ah Cheng’s Curry laksa. It’s not too spicy as well in case you can’t tolerate spicy food. The curry laksa is simply fabulous! Innocent

• Sabeeh Khan

July 12, 2021 at 3:33 pm

My favorite laksa is The Singapore style Laksa. It consists of the same three main ingredients as in Malaysia, however the recipe differs in the following ways: instead of a type of noodles called Mee, Singaporean version of laksa includes thick rice noodles. The noodle type used is known locally as Kway Teow. The soup base is known in Singapore as fish ball curry whereas in Malaysia it is referred to as laksa Kesum or fish ball curry prawns. The soup can also contain a combination of different meats such as pork and chicken or even fish instead of prawns. So, the Singapore style Laksa is a bit spicy. however, It’s delicious. It’s my personal favoriteThumbsup

• Manpreet Kaur

July 13, 2021 at 3:35 pm

My favourite type of laksa would be laksa Johor. Laksa Johor is originally from Johor state and it is a dish that is made from fish, chicken, prawns or minced beef and coconut milk. Laksa Johor distinguishes itself by a marvellous sweetness. The noodle used in laksa Johor is almost the same as spaghetti. The history behind that is according to old folks, the late Sultan Abu Bakar went to Europe for a visit and fell in love with spaghetti. He then instructed his chef to use spaghetti kind of noodle combined with traditional laksa gravy to make laksa Johor. The history was the interesting part to me although I can’t really verify the source of it. But in my pov, it is one of the earliest examples of culinary fusion. There are several shop in KL and Selangor that you can try out if you would love to taste laksa Johor. But ofc, the best one would be in Johor, where the laksa originates.SunglassesCowboy

• cher

July 13, 2021 at 5:39 pm

Can’t forget the mighty Sarawak laksa!! Sarawak laksa is a spicy, sour and fishy soup with a very white thin noodle. The two most prominent ingredients are the noodles and the broth which ranges in flavour from spicy and piquant with tamarind juice or chilli sauce, to milder with coconut milk. Belacan is the special ingredient here as the Sarawakian enjoys belacan, especially in their laksa. You can opt to now mix it tho if you’re not a fan. Prawns, diced chicken and egg omelette are also part of the laksa’s toppings. The toppings really compliment the overall taste of the laksa. The soup is usually served at room temperature but laksa-lovers usually agree that it tastes better when piping hot.

If you’re visiting Kuching one day, do visit Golden Arch cafe and try their laksa. It’s the most authentic laksa I’ve ever had so far. To find Sarawak Laksa in KL and PJ, do try aunty Christina’s laksa at Sea Park PJ! Their laksa is the best laksa i had so far in west Malaysia.

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.