Roadside food: Apam balik

• Roadside food: Apam balik

Posted by Dahlia Eva on August 25, 2021 at 4:07 pm

Apam Balik is a favorite snack of many Malaysians. It is a comfort food that has been around for decades! Although it has many different types and places to eat it. What do you guys think where can I find the best Apam Balik in Malaysia and which one is the best… Yum

Zainal Abidin replied 2 years, 7 months ago 13 Members · 12 Replies
  • 12 Replies
  • Aleeya Asri

August 26, 2021 at 3:07 pm

The classic version of this snack is a concoction of deep-fried dough squares dipped in grated coconut, milk, and sugar. This dish has been associated with the culture of pre-independence Malaya and is traditionally offered to guests. Traditionally, this dish was eaten during a festive occasion or meal served to honor guests or family members who had come from afar. Today, it is enjoyed by locals as a convenient snack that can be made after work with few ingredients at home.

The history of Apam Balik can be traced through the 1910s to 1930s, when Chinese traders from North Malaysia brought with them their language and culture. They set up food stalls and cooked delicacies like bak kut teh, lor mee, and Hokkien mee. The Malay term “apam” refers to a pancake made from fermented rice or sweet flour batter that is then deep-fried in oil. The use of these terms in reference to a particular snack is believed to be a result of the Chinese traders who brought their food and culture along with them when they migrated from China.

The ingredients for traditional Apam Balik were simple; flour, butter, sugar, milk, and grated coconut were used. Today, Sri Lankan cooks have added their own style of this sweet snack when it comes to ingredients. They put in an egg and extra coconut milk for coconut flavor. But still, the basic ingredients of flour, butter, sugar and grated coconut are retained.

The actual cooking process is simple. The dough is made up with flour and mashed banana for sweetness. This batter is deep fried and then dipped in a basin containing grated coconut, custard powder and warm milk or fresh condensed milk. The dough is then rolled in diced onions before serving. Today Apam balik is prepared commercially in Malaysia and can be found in food courts specializing in local cuisine as well as restaurants serving Malaysian fare.

A classic Malaysian dish of the Malay Peninsula-Apam Balik (a flaky pancake topped with grated coconut).

• Ng Chap Chae

August 26, 2021 at 3:09 pm

Indonesian Apom Balik

Situated in a dim little road in the middle of Kampung Baru, everyone mindful of the space would depend on this Apom Balik at the ‘Best’. With more than 20 decisions to look over, Apom Balik Nusantara dissimilar to the normal firm covering Apom Balik, is nearly cake-like, as additional layers of spread and flour are put within to make it thick and soggy. The individuals who realize it’s actual force will stand by the roadside as the Pakcik makes it new and afterward, in a real sense consuming your mouth while eating its liquid filling.

Address: No 14, Jalan Hamzah, Kampung Baru, 53000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

Hours: 4.30 PM to 11 PM. Opens Daily

• Manpreet Kaur

August 26, 2021 at 3:12 pm

Nutella Apom Balik

So the fundamental fillings in an Apam Balik are ground peanuts and sugar. Some add corn from the can or even newly ground coconut. Envision one with Ham with cheddar, Nutella or even Marshamallow. Known as Dig Heong Golden Apam Balik, by remaining pertinent to consumer taste change, they be rolling and fanning out to Pudu Plaza, Taman Yulek and Mahkota Cheras. Moderately valued at RM3.30 and RM3.90 for each dish either thick or slight, ain’t off-base to stop for a light meal returning home!

Address: Opposite Golden Celebrated House coffee shop Jalan Landak Kuala Lumpur 55100

Hours: 1 PM to 9 PM. Opens Daily

• Vanessa Therese

August 26, 2021 at 3:14 pm

Penang Style Apom Balik

My personal favorite is the Penang’s Crunchy and firm or delicate and cushy, here on Jalan Hang Lekir before Koon Kee Wantan Mee, Uncle Loh’s 30 years of experience of making apam balik will show you how great of an Apam Balik can look and taste! With a comparable version of gentler little Penang style, Apam Balik loaded up with newly shredded coconut, his Apom Balik is liberally loaded up with coarsely ground peanuts that make each bite unbelievably delectable. With an expense of rm1.20 for each cut, we marvel at what number of slices will you stop at ?

Address: Stall at Jalan Hang Lekir (off Jalan Petaling), KL.

Hours: 1 pm to 9 pm (Mondays to Fridays), 11.30am to 9 pm (Saturdays and Sundays)

• Mateo Gabriel

August 26, 2021 at 3:17 pm

There’s an Stall at Taman Segar Pasar Malam It’s worth your time to track down this couple’s 20-year-old stall at the Friday night pasar malam as their apam balik is really wonderful. Here the pancakes layers are not very thick and they are unbelievably liberal with the coarsely ground peanuts. You can likewise order

bananas, corn or simply the plain assortment. Our most loved is the one with ready cut bananas, an ideal combo with the toasted peanuts. They additionally trade at the Sri Rampai pasar malam on Thursdays and work on Saturday mornings at the market in Taman Sri Sinar, Kepong.

Address : Right in front of Gold Car Care Services, Jalan Manis 7, Cheras, KL.

Open from 5.30pm every Friday.

• Puteri Faitlia

August 26, 2021 at 3:18 pm

Ding Heong Golden Apam Balik

Apam balik is a snack I have grown up eating. It’s modest and difficult to turn out badly particularly when they fall off the pan fresh, hot and firm.

I missed this a great deal since coming to KL and have been intensely chasing for it. Yet, it appears to me like most KL pancake venders like to make apam and those thick, chewy ones.

Ding Heong is one of only a few of exceptional enduring apam balik trucks in KL that is as yet progressing nicely. To remain pertinent to the consistently changing buyer tastes, Ding Heong likewise offers a ton of non-traditional Pancakes loaded down with different ingredients.

Other than the conventional filling of peanuts, sugar and sweet corns, you can likewise decide on Nutella, cheddar, ham, fish, marshmallows and numerous different fixings possible. As should be obvious, they use a lot of marked items.

Ding Heong’s proprieter is an uncle who has been doing this for the greater part of his life. Presently, he’s helped by his daughters and a foreign helper. Regardless of having an assistant, all the cooking is as yet done by the uncle and the girl so there’s no think twice about the pancake’s quality.

Both thin and thick apam balik are accessible here at RM3.30 and RM3.90 for each container. The significant contrast between them is the measure of player that goes into the container, while the measure of fixings stay basically something very similar.

While the thin apam balik isn’t actually equivalent to what I used to eat as a child, there’s no denying that it’s flavorful. On the off chance that you like your pancake to taste better, let them know in advance so they could change the amount of sugar that goes into it. There’s no additional charges for this.

Anyways, stuffed apam balik is anything but another thing considering you can get it in Penang since over 10 years prior. In any case, I was anxious to discover how Ding Heong fared so I likewise requested a cheddar and ham pancake & that was very delicious. They don’t stinge on the ingredients and each bite is joined by thick layers of ham and melted cheddar cheese; wet however in view of the dampness. It was delicious alright and filling enough as lunch, however I actually lean toward the original flavor.

For those taking away, you’d be satisfied to realize that the thin apam balik stays fresh even following a day. The key is to store them appropriately in a air-tight container. So you can consider purchasing a couple a greater amount of them to appreciate as breakfast for the next morning.

Jalan Landak (in front of Golden Celebrated House coffee shop)

55100 Pudu, KL

Business hours: 12pm to 6pm (closed on Thursday)

• Tony Looi

August 26, 2021 at 3:20 pm

Did you guys know? Apam balik is an old Malay recipe that is well loved by locals and tourists alike. Although the ingredients of the dish have changed substantially, it is still a favorite among local Malaysians. Apam balik consists of a combination of flour, butter, sugar and grated coconut that has the batter ingredients and the lathered on top of a sizzling hot flat pan. The fried batter will be flipped in half once it is almost done; making a crescent shape. Crunchy on the outside and soft and fluffy on the inside is what you can expect from apam balik.

• Angelina Kirai

August 26, 2021 at 3:22 pm

Fadir Mohd Yusof Apam Balik

This is definitely one of the greatest find right at this food centre. There is always a crowd right in front of this stall. And, Furthermore, it isn’t hard to tell that these individuals are their normal customers. They are unquestionably the enthusiast of the flavorful peanut pancakes by this stall. A set of pancake which consists of 5 pieces is only at RM 2.50. On the off chance that you wonder, this is the only thing accessible right at this stall. A layer of margarine applied to the pancake before served to enhance its taste further.

The texture of the pancake has got a delicateness and perceptible dampness. It didn’t taste especially sweet with a fairly slight eggy taste. The filling consisting of grounded peanuts and sugar is definitely of good amount. The grounded peanuts has got the distinctive fragrant with a well-balanced sweetness. They are usually sold out before 2 pm. Be there early to avoid disappointment. This is definitely the ideal choice for breakfast or just for in between meals snack. A distinct should attempt on the off chance that you end up being there.

• Ariana Lane

August 26, 2021 at 3:26 pm

Apam balik Kuala Kedah

Call it apam balik Kuala Kedah, I keep remembering `Apam Balik Wak ‘. As we all know, Wak’s return started 40 years ago around 1979 from the late Mauzi bin Tamin (known as Wak) now, his son continues the legacy of Wak’s return.

The location of the origin of apam balik is first, if I’m not mistaken, it’s near the Customs area … even if it’s empty, remember. If the new layer may not know the coat (now the Mee Abbas area). I think Wak has been there for about 20 years. After that, the location was changed to a new location, Medan Makan in front of the Post Office (Current location). The new location is Abdul Rahim, the son of Wak Pulak, who is back in business. He continued his father’s legacy by saying that he himself was also called Wak by the local community here. Where is the spillage of gravy if not on the rice? Hehe.

For the community here, there is also a taste that is different from what is sold elsewhere. That’s right, in other places there are also sales. Each in its own way. Now, I’ve varied a bit of seasoning for this apam balik. So, for anyone who has never tasted this back, just give it a try. How do you know the coat has a taste for hangpa. For us it is delicious. Just taste it all. I just want to order it, if I buy it, I’ll be a little worried because there are a lot of people. Usually you have to wait a bit.

• Sabeeh Khan

August 26, 2021 at 3:55 pm

Apart from the best places to eat Apam balik. What you guys think that which of the Toppings goes best with Apam Balik and enhances it’s Flavour?

• Luna Stella

August 26, 2021 at 4:35 pm

Toppings

1.) The most common toppings for apam balik are grated coconut, brown sugar, and sliced banana. Other savoury variations include sardines, and fried egg with onions. In recent times some stalls also offer ice cream toppings such as chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce to create an ice-cream apam balik variant.

2.) A variant of apam balik called Sa-pek Balik is popular in Perak. This type of apam balik uses tomato ketchup as its topping instead of the traditional grated coconut. Sa-pek balik is also known as a laab ketumbar or toh payoh (toasted sardines).

3). The best toppings for Apam Balik are the garnishes that accompany it: fried shallots, fried garlic, and chopped scallions. There are also many other toppings that you can add to the dish. I like to make my own croutons of french bread. These would be great for Apam Balik.

4.) A lot of variations are possible, including adding roast peanuts or fried onions as topping. But one thing uncommon is that Apam Balik served in Malaysia and Singapore usually contains egg.

• Zainal Abidin

August 26, 2021 at 4:37 pm

How to make Apam Balik:

1) Put the rice flour, tapioca flour or cornstarch in a bowl

2) Pour in water slowly while stirring it continuously until you have a thin batter. The consistency of the batter should be like that of pancake batter

3) Add 3 teaspoons salt

4) Add 1 tablespoon sugar and stir until blended well with other ingredients.

5) Add pandan leaves, mix well and set aside

6) Crack the eggs into a bowl and beat well.

7) Add one egg at a time into the batter.

8) Pour the mixture, drop by drop, into a hot wok. The batter will be thick and will spread out quickly. Lightly stir to prevent it from sticking to the wok.

9) As soon as bubbles start developing, carefully flip it over; once sides turn brownish in colour, it is ready to serve . If you like crispy on the outside and chewy inside, you can put it back for another round of heat-cooking for about 12 minutes until crispy on both sides . Yet, if you like it soft on the inside and crispy on the outside , you can enjoy it immediately after the initial round of cooking.

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.