Best Char Kuey Teow place in KL and PJ

• Jessica Lim

July 16, 2021 at 3:27 pm

PSA: for those who are not familiar with char kuey teow, basically char kuey teow is a Malaysian dish that is usually made with rice noodles and lard. It’s like the country’s version of fried rice or fried noodles but has its own distinct taste, which can vary from restaurant to restaurant and family to family. Char kuey teow is also often eaten as a breakfast meal in Malaysia, although today it’s considered an appetiser or soup at many restaurants where it will usually be served with sliced fish cakes, seafood balls or vegetables. The dish was introduced by Chinese immigrants who took their culinary tradition from China during the 19th century when they began settling down in Malaysia.

• Margaret Mia

July 21, 2021 at 3:06 pm

The word char kuey teow was originated from the Hakka Chinese which means to roast it over an open fire to get the best flavour out of it. To me, the best type of char kuey teow is the one where you can taste ‘wok’ -ness from the dish. I would prefer my char kuey teow cooked using wok with big flame Nerd They’re the best!

Sister’s Place @ TTDI

One of my favourite go-to for char kuey teow is Sister’s place @ TTDI. It is located in Persiaran Zaaba TTDI, the same row as burger king and this shop was recommended by my friend who lives there. It is a few minutes away from the TTDI MRT station if you walk. It is definitely accessible via public transport (eg, train, grab) and ample parking space there. Do take note that during lunch hour, it might be a little bit harder to find parking there. If you are coming from Damansara Utama, it is very easy to locate. Sister’s place is halal certified.

Restoran Yong Len

There is another famous char kuey teow nearby Sister’s Place as well. This stall is located in Restoran Yong Len. However, this stall is non- halal. Might not be suitable for those who are looking for halal place. Char kuey teow from this restaurant is a little bit pricey I would say. Around Rm10-12 for a small portion only. If you’re curious of the taste, you can go for it. I would go for this CKT if I specifically crave for it. If not, I rather go to Sister’s place due to the portion and the fresh seafood in your CKT.

• Trent Watson

July 21, 2021 at 3:49 pm

Chinatown Food Centre

Easily accessible to both options (transportation wise) and it is relatively cheap too. Located near Chinatown bus station, this food hall is always packed with people. It is also the home to many famous stalls such as “Siam Sze Poh” which sells the most authentic Thai dishes in town. You can find other dishes too here especially noodle, chicken rice, their famous porridge and many more. The last time I went here was back in 2020 so I am not too sure if it’s still operating. I used to go to Chinatown for the food and the vibe there (especially during the Chinese new year). I heard from news and friends that Chinatown is basically empty now due to covid. Sad too see many shop closed :/ The food here is mostly non-halal tho. If you’re using the train to go Chinatown, you can stop at Pasar Seni MRT/LRT station and walk to Chinatown. It’s only 5 mins away. Or you can just grab there to make things easier. But again, I am not sure if it’s still operating. Do let me know if anyone knows about the latest update of this food centre.

• Nicolina Victoria

July 21, 2021 at 5:37 pm

Robert Char Kuey Teow @ PJ

Robert char kuey teow in PJ is a place that serves one of the best Char Kuey Teow. My favourite part of this char kuey teow is its lap cheong and the savoury rice noodle. This stall is pretty famous among locals PJ lang (people) and no doubt, the taste has been consistently good over the years. I can vouch for this as his frequent and loyal customer. The stall is opposite Seventeen Mall so parking is not an issue here. If you’re looking for something similar to Penang char kuey teow, this is to the closest one you can get. This might sound like a bias opinion but I stand with what i said Rofl

Koay Teow King @ Damansara Utama

Koay Teow King @ Damansara Utama on the other hand is a restaurant that offers a wide variety of char kuey teow. It is one of the most famous restaurants in PJ as well and a lot of people enjoy their delicious dishes here. Not only they have char kuey teow, they also have ‘char kuey teow mee’. So instead of using ‘kuey teow’ as the noodle, they uses mee noodle instead. Mee is the thick and yellow noodle while kuey teow is white, thin and transparent noodle. At first I find it a little bit weird because using mee noodle kinda defeat the purpose of char kuey teow in general Rofl But once I tried it, it’s actually pretty good! The texture of the mee noodle actually brings a whole new experience of eating char kuey teow. If you’re adventurous enough to try this new experience, please give it a try! I think you won’t regret it at all. Cowboy

• Manpreet Kaur

August 3, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Char Kuey Teow Aunty Gemuk

Char Kuey Teow Aunty Gemuk is an old woman who has been cooking the dish for more than 20 years and she serves many dishes. She is a kind-hearted woman who treats her customers like they’re relatives of hers which makes their time in her restaurant enjoyable. Char Kuey Teow Aunty Gemuk’s dishes are well-liked by the locals around her and it was also voted as one of the best places to eat at in Malaysia by ‘Mei Jing’ magazine. For those who are looking for halal char kuey teow, this is the place for you! The wok hei taste and the amount of cockles in the char kuey teow never fail to amaze me. This aunty is definitely not stingy with her potion. For a plate of full of good and amazing thing in her char kuey teow, she only charges RM 5; which is quite a decent price to me. The stall is located in Restoran Jamal Mohamed, opposite of wisma FAM in Kelana Jaya. Do come early to avoid lunch crowd; or else you have to wait to be seated. Other than char kuey teow, they also have other halal Chinese food as well such as chicken rice, curry laksa, chee chong fun, rojak, Hokkien noodle and mamak food as well. To my Malay friends out there, this is the place to get your halal Chinese food craving fixed! Raised Hands

• Sarah Ismail

August 3, 2021 at 3:21 pm

Mali’s Corner

Mali’s corner is famous for its Char Kuey Teow and their restaurant is located in Kuala Lumpur. It is also a popular place because it offers Malay style of cooking, which differs from the Chinese style. The sauce is not so thick and has a spicy taste to it as well. The noodles are also less oily than most of the other stalls, which means that you have more flavourful ingredients to enjoy! Instead of ‘char’ (which means fried in Chinese), the kuey teow that Mali’ Corner offer is more to ‘wet’ kuey teow; which is also the common type of kuey teow in Malay cuisine/cooking. While the Chinese like it dry and wok hei taste, the Malay cuisine for kuey teow is wetter and has a little hint of spiciness. I know this thread is about ‘char’ kuey teow; but if you’re feeling adventurous, do try wet kuey teow! Especially from Mali’s corner in Danau Kota (the one that I usually go to). Below is a picture of wet kuey teow for reference. Besides famous for their kuey teow, Mali’s corner also well known for its Nasi Lemak ayam! If you think Village Park is good, then you should try their Nasi Lemak as well. I am not too sure why their Nasi lemak didn’t get raved as much as Village Park when in my opinion, it is slightly better than Village Park.

• sonia

August 3, 2021 at 5:30 pm

Rainbow Penang Char Koay Teow

The stall has been around for almost four years and is famous for the delicious Penang char koay teow that it serves. This plack is well-known by the PJ folks for being one of the best Penang Char Koay Teow located in SS2 Petaling Jaya. The food is not oily like many of the noodles stalls you’ll find in KL and you even get an option of adding extras prawns or cockles. Their ingredients are mostly fresh seafood (prawns and cockles) and another bonus point for Rainbow Penang Char Koay Teow is the peel their prawns!! *no longer have to struggle to peel each prawn before start eating* Star StruckYum. According to the owner, what makes the CKT different from others is the sauce that they use. Since they pride themselves on selling Penang CKT, their special sauce is imported from Penang; bringing only the best ingredients for people in KL/Selangor. Before they have their own stall at a restaurant, they used to sell at the entrance of SS2 Sunday market. Now that they have their own stall, usually, the waiting time to be seated is quite long. I suggest you ‘tapau’ or take away if you’re not a fan of waiting. My verdict on this CKT shop is good if you’re looking for Penang style char kuey teow. Their ingredients and noodle are freshly made, and that is the best part of it.

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.