Colors and Spaces

• Posted by Mateo Gabriel on November 19, 2019 at 6:49 am

So, I understand that using brighter colours can make a small space looks bigger and using darker colours can make a bigger space looks smaller. However, what if we mix up both light and dark in one space? What kind of impression does that give to the overall look of the space? Also, are there any specific colour schemes that you all suggest?

Mateo Gabriel replied 4 years, 4 months ago 4 Members · 6 Replies
  • 6 Replies
  • Mariam Musa

November 19, 2019 at 7:31 am

From my experience, you can use darker colours to place an accent on the space (for example, if you want guests to focus on a specific portion of the room, they will be attracted to the darker colour scheme) and the brighter colours can be used to make sure that the space looks big. However, there are some colour combinations that are a big no-no. For example, red with green, blue with red, etc. I have my room painted red with a touch of yellow and I thought that wasn’t too bad. Hope that helps!

PS: Make sure to complement the walls with the right decorations. Avoid cluttering the space or shoving unnecessary decorations if you have a tight space.

• Mateo Gabriel

November 26, 2019 at 3:31 am

Thank you for your kind input. And yes, DEFINITELY NO to GREEN + RED. I don’t want my house to look like a traffic light hahaha!

• Margaret Mia

November 20, 2019 at 4:41 am

I agree with what Mariam mentioned above. Personally, it is all up to your taste and liking, but remember to always BALANCE THE COLOURS! It really sets the tone of the space and the associated emotions that come with it. You might want to avoid “perfecting” the colour scheme as it can look very generic and “unnatural”. Maybe choose the same colour palette but vary the colour intensity? Also, while accenting is a great idea, you should not overdo it. Try to mix things around and sort of spread the colour scheme. That would continue to capture the attention of the occupants instead of focusing on just one section of the room.

Also when it comes to furnishing, may I add that less is more, even when you are dealing with large spaces. You don’t want everything to be crammed up. No matter how big your space is, the more you fit in, the less breathing space you will end up with. This can cause unease since you start feeling anxious when you are in that area. 

• Mateo Gabriel

November 26, 2019 at 3:34 am

Definitely! My thoughts were to use bright colours to make my living room look bigger (since it is joined to the kitchen area). As for the rooms, I was thinking of a darker colour palette for the Master Bedroom to give that more mysterious and cosy ambience. Still thinking of the other two bedrooms. Definitely not many furniture coz the space is not that big in the first place (being my first house and whatnot) Thank you I appreciate the input 🙂 

• Soraya Begum Abdul Rahman

November 25, 2019 at 7:34 am

For my house, I painted my walls mainly the color of candlelight yellow (this is a very soft color which adds vibrancy to the entire space). I don’t like to have a lot of furniture in the house. It looks messy and I feel like I cannot breathe. So, I would say only put furniture and decorations that uplift the space instead of only for the sake of being there. My daughter recently painted one of the walls in her room red with some patterns and it turned out not too bad. When people enter her room, the first thing they notice is the majestic red against the rest of the walls that are lightly painted. In the end, most color choices are up to you and what you like but that is my suggestions. 

• Mateo Gabriel

November 26, 2019 at 3:37 am

Wow! That kind of sounds like using a wallpaper no? Red is a really difficult colour to work with in house spaces. I am thinking she probably used a darker shade of red? I don’t think the metallic red would look good on the interior of any house although pinkish-red would look good for a baby room? Don’t really have kids right now so maybe not that kind of pinkish-red for me right now haha! Sweat SmileSweat Smile

Add to Collection

No Collections

Here you'll find all collections you've created before.